Thursday 2 May 2013

Geocaching

Today was an absolutely beautiful day! The sun was shining & it was 70 degrees! I have a helper on Tuesday & Thursday mornings so I thought today would be a good day for an adventure. I have been wanting to try out Geocaching with the boys for.ev.er! Today was the day and I'm so glad we did it. 

What is Geocaching you ask? According to Geocaching 101: 
"Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location."

I downloaded this official Geocache app ages ago. You don't need the app to participate in Geocaching - there is a website as well.



I did a search for Geocaches near us and found one that was highlighted as a "beginner" cache. That's us! 

We drove to the park near where the cache should be. It said it was a half mile from our house, but that's a lot for little 3 year old feet so I decided to drive. Which I'm glad we did because we had a nice little walk to the cache from the park.

The app guided us along in the right direction and gave a description of what we should be looking for. 



Then we found it! The boys were excited to look at what people had left inside (I forgot to take a picture of that) and they felt proud that they found the "treasure". 



I'm really excited to do more of these with the boys. There are several just around our house, but they are all over the world so I see this becoming a life long activity for us! Just another way we are teaching our children that living an active lifestyle is not only good for you, but can be fun too!

Have you ever gone Geocaching? What "adventures" in nature or fitness have you done with your family?

No comments:

Post a Comment